DiaryLogSite-Journalkeeping

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/23/2023 2:30 am  #1

4000 year old Diary of a Sumerian Schoolboy

AUTHOR: Schoolboy, where did you go from earliest days?
STUDENT: I went to school.
AUTHOR: What did you do in school?
STUDENT: I recited my tablet, ate my lunch, prepared my (new) tablet, wrote it, finished it; then they assigned me my oral work, and in the afternoon they assigned me my written work.
   When school was dismissed, I went home, entered the house, and found my father sitting there.  I told my father of my written work, then recited my tablet to him, and my father was delighted....  
   When I awoke early in the morning, I faced my mother and said to her, "Give me my lunch, I want to go to school."  My mother gave me two rolls and I went to school. 
   In school the monitor in charge said to me "Why are you late?"
Afraid and with pounding heart, I entered before my teacher and made a respectful curtsy.

(The student misbehaved--by talking in class, standing at the wrong time, leaving the school grounds, and making careless copies.  For each offense, he was beaten with a cane.  When the student returned home, he asked his father to invite his teacher to dinner.)

The teacher was brought from school, and after entering the house he was seated in the seat of honor (and given a good dinner) The schoolboy attended and served him, and whatever he had learned of the art of table writing he unfolded to his father.

(The father then dressed the teacher in a new garment gave him a gift, and put a ring on his hand.)

TEACHER TO STUDENT: Young man, because you did not neglect my word, did not forsake it, may you reach the (top) of the scribal art, may you achieve it completely....Of your brothers may you be their leader, of your friends may you be their chief, may you rank the highest of the schoolboys....You have carried out well the school's activities, you have become a man of learning.

Love is Sacrifice

Board footera